When individuals come together to forward a common commercial goal, they often fail to consider what will happen in the event that their interests are not always in harmony. This can result in protracted litigation of the most contentious kind. At Smith & Fawer, our attorneys are seasoned in all types of corporate and partnership disputes, and that savvy gives them a particular advantage in so-called “business divorces."
Examples of the firm’s practice in this area include:
- Representation of owner of vessel design in suit against former partner who misappropriated the design;
- Defense of a publicly-traded company in a multi-million arbitration arising out of the alleged breach of a merger agreement;
- Prosecuting claims by a local hotelier alleging that his 50% co-owner illegally froze him out of active participation in the governance of their corporation;
- Defense of a local developer against claims that he surrendered management of a partnership by transferring his shares in the partnership;
- Prosecuting claims of local hospitality business owner regarding corporate governance and enforcement of agreement to sell stock;
- Prosecuting claims of oppressed minority shareholders in several local small businesses.