Not all property is tangible. Often the most important property is the uniqueness of an invention or idea and the right to patent, copyright, or trademark that invention or idea. Smith & Fawer attorneys are called upon to represent corporations and individuals who have rights to intellectual property and must defend those rights against infringement.
The firm’s representation in this area includes:
- Successful representation of a worldwide distributor of tobacco products in claims for patent and trademark infringement;
- Successful representation of a nationwide marketer of self-improvement video products in a suit claiming infringement of trademarks and improper use of a similar Internet domain name;
- Multiple prosecutions of patent infringement actions for inventors;
- Consultation on distribution and licensing agreements;
- Successful representation of international maritime group in protecting its proprietary vessel design property;
- Successful representation of healthcare company in arbitration arising out of infringement of its intellectual property by former licensee.