Takings And Eminent Domain LitigationRandall A. Smith is the sole Louisiana member of the Owner’s Counsel of America (www.ownerscounsel.com), a national association of experienced property rights and eminent domain attorneys. In January 2012 and 2013, Mr. Smith was Faculty at the ALI-ABA National Eminent Domain 3-day Seminar in San Diego, CA. Together with Tiffany Davis and others in the Firm, he has handled over 100 significant takings cases around the State of Louisiana for property owners against state and federal agencies, securing over $100 million for his clients. Smith & Fawer attorneys closely supervise the taking at issue to insure that it is truly necessary for the public advancement. If so, and if nothing can be done to prevent the taking, the firm then zealously pursues the payment of just compensation for the taking of its clients’ property.
Cases representative of the firm’s practice in this area include:
- Securing a $10.5 million judgment on behalf of its client against the local Convention Center Authority for the taking of the clients’ property in the New Orleans Central Business District (over 10x the amount offered);
- Securing a $7 million judgment for its clients against a levee board for the expropriation of property for levee improvements (over 100x the amount deposited);
- Securing a $6 million judgment for its clients against the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (over 100x the amount deposited);
- Obtaining a $6 million judgment against the Board of Supervisors of LSU for a landowner; and
- Obtaining a $2 million judgment against the Orleans Levee District for a landowner.