Takings And Eminent Domain Litigation
Randall A. Smith is the sole Louisiana member of the Owner’s Counsel of America, a national association of experienced property rights and eminent domain attorneys. For the past twenty years, Mr. Smith has been part of the national faculty at the ALI-ABA National Eminent Domain 3-day seminar. Together with Tiffany Davis, Mary Nell Bennett and others in the Firm, he has handled over 100 significant takings cases around the State of Louisiana for property owners against state and federal agencies, securing over $100 million for his clients. Smith & Fawer attorneys closely supervise the taking at issue to insure that it is truly necessary for the public advancement. If so, and if nothing can be done to prevent the taking, the firm then zealously pursues the payment of just compensation for the taking of its clients’ property.
Cases representative of the firm’s practice in this area include:
- Securing a $10.5+ million jury award for a landowner against the local Convention Center Authority (over 10x the amount offered);
- Securing a $7+ million judgment for its clients against a levee board for the expropriation of property for levee improvements (over 100x the amount deposited);
- Securing a $6+ million judgment for its clients against the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (over 100x the amount deposited);
- Obtaining over $10 million in judgments against the Board of Supervisors of LSU for landowners in the new hospital project;
- Obtaining a $2 million judgment for a landowner against the Orleans Levee District (over 10x the amount offered);
- Obtaining over $1.5 million in judgments for a business against the government of Terrebonne Parish (over 7x the amount offered).